Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gratitude:

This post will have nothing to do at all with carpets or carpet binding!

A few months ago, I was at my local watering hole with an acquaintance, discussing possible fund raising ideas for a mutual friend of ours. Our mutual friend had undergone an emergency heart transplant this past August. It was totally unexpected to needing one and everything happened very fast after he went to the doctor's just because he wasn't "feeling well". Upon doing several tests his doctors immediately had him flown to Yale New Haven and in a couple of days they had a compatible donor! Which, by the way, is probably the best luck he's had in the past few years.

As this woman and I discussed what we could do to help him, one of the bar's regulars had over heard our conversation & gently handed over a dollar bill. My friend said "Are you sure, because I see what it is." It was a one-hundred dollar bill. He didn't know our friend at all, nor did he know either one of us for that matter. 

Well, after a few months of making contacts and asking for volunteers, I was able to come up with a chili contest & comedy show event. When I knew that the show was a definite, I went up to the generous donor and told him, "When we have our comedy show, you will be a guest of honor!" He immediately shook his head no. I asked, "No?! We won't announce you or anything. We just want to give you free tickets and buy you a round of drinks." Again, he shook his head no. He said, "Everything should go to him. You both thanked me and gave me a big hug. That's all I need for the donation I made."

I was flabbergasted.
I said, "So, you won't accept gratitude for your gratitude?!"
He said, "You've already thanked me."

Over the past two weeks, any time I've seen him I let him know that despite "rejecting" the offer, he is still going to be a guest of honor. It has almost become an inside joke ... a never ending argument too!
The overall point of all this is that it is men like him who make fundraisers and the efforts to coordinate such events all worth it! The generosity & desire to help, just because you can, speaks volumes of a person's character. It's those little finds that really change one's perspective in life too! No matter how bad life can be or how hard it can get there are these quiet guardian angels everywhere just waiting to lend a helping hand!

The Chili Contest & Comedy Show is this weekend!
Pardon the expression, but we're calling it:
"Shits & Giggles: Jokes for Justin!"

It is being held at the Blackboard Cafe in Windsor Locks, CT on December 3rd, 2011. 
The start time is 5 pm  and will end around 7 pm.
 $15 will get you both chili & comedy. 

If you're interested in entering the chili contest, it is a $15 entry fee. You should arrive to prep your chili station at 4 30 pm.
A cash prize is being offered for first place!

The comedy show will begin at 5 45 pm.

The announcement for the chili contest winner will be after the comedy show.

We are also having a 50/50 raffle!

All proceeds after expenses are paid will go to Justin, the gentleman who underwent a heart transplant in August 2011. 

If by chance you have Facebook, you can join in the event page by clicking the link below!

Here's to our silent guardian angles & the gratitude they offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment