Friday, August 26, 2011

"Just Married!" ... Almost

About seven weeks ago a customer asked if I was willing to make a custom carpet for his wedding. Of course I was happy to do it! He told me that the wedding was beach themed and was hoping to incorporate sand, the ocean and a sun into the carpet. My first experiment was seeing if I could accomplish a "surf" look using white and blue carpet with a rippled cut at the seams*. Honestly, it was cheesy looking. Yet, I didn't give up on the image right away. Instead I moved on to the sand. I thought that I should make a design where it looked as if someone had written in the sand. This is what I was able to come up with:

"written in sand" attempt

 At this point, I was at odds with how I felt about the look of it. I posted this exact picture on my facebook profile to see what the crowd would say. About  5 - 7 people commented saying it did look like it was written in sand or giving praise for the idea and look of it! So I continued, which led me to this:
*you can see the rippled/wave affect I tried to accomplish at the top of the picture!*



 Again, I questioned the aesthetics of the piece. Luckily, the same customer was in not too much later after I had this much finished. He looked at it & I could tell he was disappointed. Together, we picked out three different colored carpets and he instructed me to forget about the beach theme all together. He merely wanted me to produce a piece with the couple's names and the date of the big day! After completion, he would use the exact decorations from the wedding to adhere to the carpet. 
"Great!" I thought. "This has just become an easier & much less stressful project for me!" 

I did as I was told, using the carpets he and I picked out together. It took a total of 5 - 7 hours to complete. This is what the almost finished piece looks like:
bordered, custom carpet
He was delighted when I dropped it off to him! I was relieved that he was so happy with the finished project. He and his wife-to-be were then going to adhere their wedding decorations (sea shells, star fish & sand) to the left side (which I intentionally left space for) and send me a picture with the finishing touches on it! 

So, to Mark & Donna, Congratulations on your wedding this weekend! 
Hopefully Hurricane Irene is kind to you & your area!


Today's funny! 
(and a good reason to always read the label first!)

Dan was giving the glass-top desks a good scrubbing. After a few minutes, a pungent smell wafted through the air. I realized what happened, but double checked in case I was wrong:
"Did you use Windex or cologne?" 
Just as I suspected! 
As Dan looks at the spray body he reads, "Bod" (the body spray for men).  
"Oh, I thought it was mini Windex bottle." 
Understandable...

 Now we sit in the office, suffocating on the scent of cologne for the last hour of the day...
but maybe tomorrow we'll awake with "really ripped abs"!

Have a great weekend, everybody!
Stay safe while Irene makes her way past your areas!






No comments:

Post a Comment