Thursday, February 24, 2011

Custom Carpets: "What Are They Good For" ... Absolutely Everything!

Last July I had the pleasure of being a guest at my oldest sister's friends' wedding! Kate & Geoff put in an exhausting amount of work to create an amazing day honoring their love for each other.  It was a beautiful wedding & an absolutely great time!

I had thought to myself, "What could I get as a gift that shows them they are really special?"  I pondered over the next few days dismissing gift ideas left and right, because nothing seemed like a gift from me. Then it hit me, "EUREKA! I can make them a custom carpet honoring their special day!"

This wasn't the first time I was making a custom carpet as a wedding gift. I had been hired once before by a friend to make one honoring her Aunt & soon-to-be Uncle's wedding. She told me the colors of the wedding decor , the date and the names of the couple. I came up with a small bordered piece that she loved, but more importantly her Aunt & Uncle loved just as much!


 Aunt Tina & Uncle Dale appreciated the custom piece so much, they refused to put it on the ground...
They didn't want it getting dirty!

I figured that if this custom carpet was such a huge hit, I could also make a great gesture by gifting one to Kate & Geoff. I toyed around with a few ideas for the design. I was going to link their names like a crossword puzzle including the date of the wedding:
                                           
                                     G
                       KATE
                   7/31/ 2O10 
                               F
                               F
While the idea of the design & layout worked out nearly perfectly, I wasn't completely in love with it. The design just seemed far too plain to be honoring such an event! I knew I could be more creative. That led me to look at the truly unique invitations Kate had mailed me. In order to have all the information & details of the wedding available to the invitee, the use of four cards was necessary. Kate & Geoff (or maybe just Kate) designed their own invitations using the word LOVE as the main idea. The wedding invitations included directions to the establishment, an invite for the rehearsal dinner party, the invitation to the wedding & lastly an RSVP card. The information was listed on the back side of each card, while the front of the cards had one letter each to spell out "LOVE":
 These became my motivation & ultimately the design of my new custom carpet project!

I decided I would recreate these four tablets within an area rug. Now, you may notice a tiny little bird on the card with 'E' on it. This is a small but important detail. While the bride's maids and mother-of-the-bride were preparing for the day, Kate's mother points out a fabulous necklace she bought specifically for the wedding. I over heard her say "as soon as I saw the bird, I knew it was the perfect accessory for today!". In my way of thinking, I considered this a truly special part of the invitation and wedding decor. I wanted to make sure that little bird on a wire was represented in the custom carpet.  After a few days of planning, a lot of cutting & trimming and many hours of gluing, Kate & Geoff's piece was finished! 




Although small in size, 2 ft. by 3.5 ft. , this custom carpet is packed with sentimental value & memories of an amazing day filled with love. It was certainly a privilege to be a guest at Kate & Geoff's wedding. It was an honor creating a custom carpet commemorating the day! 

If you have a special event that you would like to create a custom carpet in honor of, please consider Kelly at DWP Carpet Binding

SHAMELESS PLUG: 
You can learn more about Kate and her amazing skills in photography!
Check out her web-site:


DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT OUR WEB-SITE & ETSY STORE:
www.dwpcarpetbinding.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/KellyGreenCarpets

2 comments: